Itchy Mosquito Bites? Try These Natural Solutions for Relief
Perhaps the most irritating annoyance about living in Florida is mosquitoes. From spring through fall, they swarm and attack any warm-blooded animal that gets too close. It’s impossible to spend too much time outdoors in the evenings or early mornings when it’s cool and comfortable. And, if you do, you’re going to end up with itchy mosquito bites on your exposed skin. Soothing the itch is all you can think about, but don’t scratch. Instead, reach for one of the natural solutions for mosquito bite relief mentioned here.
Why Do Mosquito Bites Itch?
Mosquitoes bite with a long mouthpiece called a proboscis that pierces your skin. Mosquito saliva contains anesthetic-like qualities that deaden the area and anticoagulants that make it easier for them to feed. In most cases, you don’t feel the bite until after the mosquito has fed and is in flight. The itchy sensation you get is due to proteins in the mosquito’s saliva that cause an allergic reaction in your skin. Some people are very allergic, while others don’t have much reaction to mosquito bites.
How to Get Rid of Mosquito Bite Itch With Natural Remedies
If you’re one of the people who suffer from extreme itchiness from mosquito bites, do your best not to scratch. When you do, you can break the skin which can cause an infection. Instead, check your cupboards and fridge because you likely have one or more of these easy-to-use, natural treatments:
- Ice – Apply a cold compress or ice pack to the mosquito bite and leave it on for 5 – 10 minutes to ease the inflammation and relieve itching. Repeat as necessary for all itchy bites.
- Heat – If the cold doesn’t work to relieve the inflammation and itching, try a hot compress. Again, leave on the affected area for 5 to 10 minutes and repeat as needed.
- Oatmeal – This popular breakfast food can also stop itching. Just make a paste of equal amounts of water and oatmeal. Apply to the mosquito bite and let sit for 10 minutes and wipe clean.
- Aloe Vera – This medicinal plant has been used for centuries to treat skin afflictions including insect bites. Break a piece of aloe vera plant off, rub it on the bite, and let dry for instant relief.
- Honey – Apply honey directly on a mosquito bite for inflammation relief as well as itch relief. Careful though, honey can be messy and sticky.
- Baking Soda – This common household ingredient is an instant itch remedy. Just mix a paste of baking soda and water and apply it to the bite. Let sit until dry and rinse. Repeat as often as needed.
Stop Mosquito Bite Itch by Eliminating Mosquitoes
If you or someone in your household is allergic to mosquito bites, it’s hard to spend time outdoors. Contact SWAT mosquito systems to learn about our proven method of eliminating mosquitoes. Our mosquito misting systems can turn your yard and garden into a mosquito-free zone. You can spend more time outdoors without itchy mosquito bites to deal with.
SWAT Mosquito Systems specializes in providing the most effective solutions to manage flying, biting insects such as mosquitoes, no-see-ums, flies, fleas, ticks, and more. Your system will be custom designed to meet the unique needs of your residential or commercial property. Once our premium system is installed, it sprays a fine mist that immediately creates an insect-free zone, allowing you, your family, your guests, and your customers to fully enjoy the beautiful outdoor lifestyle.